States of Matter – Response to Text
Answer each question to the best of your ability, using full sentences and make sure to include detail in your responses.
- What are the three states of matter commonly found on Earth, and what are TWO of their properties?
|State #1:Solid||State #2:Liquid||State #3:Gas|
|Property #1:Solids are rigid, some are also sharp||Property #1: Liquid flows easily and takes the shape of its container||Property #1:Gas atoms can move freely and are contained in a metal container so it doesn’t explode|
|Property #2:Solids can be hard or soft.||Property #2:Liquids have a definite volume but not a definite mass.||Property #2:Gasses have no definite vollume or mass|
- What is the fourth state of matter called?
- What happens to the speed of molecules when the temperature increases?
- They move quicker
- They move slower
- They move at the same speed
- They explode.
- Explain what happens to the molecules in a liquid when they are cooled down to their freezing point.
|They stop moving as much and they become a solid|
- Explain what happens to the molecules in a liquid when they are heated to their boiling point.
|They liquid starts to evaporate and turn into gas|
- What could be the reason for the fact that gases can be compressed more easily than solids or liquids?
|The reason could be because the atoms in a gas can move freely and because of that they can then be compressed easily.|
- Explain how each of these jobs might need to understand and work with different types of matter. (You may need to research to find out more)
|Baker||Bakers can smell steam when they are making potatoes.||Bakers use oil when they are cooking to make sure nothing sticks to the pan.||Bakers use Bread when they are preparing garlic bread.|
|Firefighter smell smoke well they rescue people from a burning building.||Firefighter use water while they put out fires||Firefighters use Hoses to put out fires.|
|Welder||Carbon monoxide can be smelled because of the temperature of the materials carbonating.||Welders use Welding fluid to make sure the weld works.||Welders use steel when they are welding the steel together|